Wednesday 29 October 2014

Bimlesh

When she isn’t working, Dr. Bimlesh Wadhwa enjoys spending time with her kids and watching movies. Her favourite movies are the classic Gone with the Wind, Disney’s Finding Nemo and Bollywood’s 3 Idiots and Bhag Milkha Bhag. The best places she’s been to are in her dreams and she cannot live without her morning tea.

Eight year old Bimlesh :)

Where did you grow up?
I was born in New Delhi, capital of the country of Taj Mahal, Biryani and Prata. Though I have lived half of my life in Singapore, I still call myself a proud Delhiite. Delhi has great people. It is a very fun-loving city and enjoyable too. I did my schooling and college studies in Delhi. My parents and most of my extended family are still in Delhi. Every year, I travel at least once to Delhi, the heart (‘Dil’) of India.

What are you currently working on?
Recently, I have been working on gender issues in interaction design with an anthropologist Samantha Berslin.
This work is about exploring possible ways of understanding and incorporating nuanced approaches to gender in its relationship with interaction design and computer science education. Too often research on gender is taken as equivalent to research on women, or relies on stereotypical or reified ideas of gender identity and difference. Much research on gender in the field of computer science has focused on addressing the ongoing under representation of women in the discipline in many “Western” countries or explored how and to what extent technology designed, produced, and used by “men” or “women”. Singapore presents an interesting alternative case to the “woman problem,” having approximate gender parity in computing.  It is interesting to explore how particular gender boundaries and stereotypes are made, reinforced, and complicated in teaching, learning, and doing design. 

At UTown


What do you like about SoC?
The School of Computing has been like home for the last 14 years. Surrounded by like-minded people, I have come to know them as family. I enjoy interacting with students on a day to day basis in this lovable and conducive environment.

What is the one thing you would change about SoC?
Wish all of us could laugh more & appreciate humor – e.g. have a digital board where we can post cartoons and funny things.

With students at STePS

What is something most people would be surprised to learn about you?
I love getting drenched in rain.
I like taking part in radio quizzes & often win them too. :)
I did MSc in High Energy Physics before venturing into computer science.
I love balloons.

Quick-Fire! Worst design?
Shutdown in Windows 8

Guilty pleasures?
Singing in the car driving alone. Getting excited over small things such as new iPhone cover.

Four ultimate dinner party guests?
Dory - but she might need her own fish bowl
Wall-E - He might come with a plant but is cute either way!
Remy - He would cook the best Ratatouille for dinner :)
Barbara Liskov - there is no Substitute (LSP)


Tell us who we should we talk to next. Email tien@nus.edu.sg

No comments:

Post a Comment